Celestial Navigation is an 80-hour USCG and STCW 95 approved course which principal aim is to develop individual navigation skills.
• Celestial Theory
• Solar Observation
• Celestial Sphere
• Sight Reduction in HO 229
• Nautical Almanac
• Sail Calculations
• Log Distance ETA's
• Star Identification and Sight Reductions
***Students are asked to bring a lined Notebook, Parallel Rulers and Dividers and a Scientific Calculator (Preferably TI36)
Any applicant successfully completing your Celestial Navigation (NOREMI-103) course will satisfy: 1) the Oceans Navigation professional examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.201(j) to increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 / 1600 GRT from Near Coastal to Oceans; AND 2) the Navigation General professional examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.201(j) to increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 / 1600 GRT from Near Coastal to Oceans; AND 2) the Celestial Navigation training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4) for STCW endorsements as OICNW on vessels of 500 GT or more.
***NMI does not provide formal advice regarding USCG license eligibility and cannot guarantee an individual’s eligibility for any specific license or credential. NMI accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or validity of general information provided. Information is provided purely as a courtesy, convenience and without cost. Individuals seeking confirmation of eligibility for any specific USCG license or credential must contact the USCG directly for an evaluation.
32 Washington Street | Fairhaven, Massachusetts 02719 USA | (508) 992-4025
1. NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE HAS NO EXISTING AGREEMENT WITH EMPLOYERS TO PROVIDE JOBS TO STUDENTS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE EMPLOYMENT.
2. MANY OF THE JOB LISTINGS PROVIDED BY NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE ARE COMPILED FROM PUBLIC SOURCES. THE SCHOOL MAY ALSO RECEIVE DIRECT REQUESTS FROM EMPLOYERS OR REFERRALS FOR JOB LISTINGS FROM GRADUATES WORKING IN THE FIELD, INSTRUCTORS, STAFF MEMBERS, EXTERN PROVIDERS, ETC.
3.NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE IS AN OPEN ADMISSIONS SCHOOL AND ADMITS ALL STUDENTS WHO MEET THE ADMISSION CRITERIA AS SET FORTH IN THE CATALOG.
4. THE CERTIFICATE OR DEGREE YOU OBTAIN FROM NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE UPON GRADUATION IS NOT THE SAME AS LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT, WHICH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR SOME OCCUPATIONS, EMPLOYERS, OR STATES. THE COST OF ANY LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION OR THE COST OF ANY EXAMINATION FOR LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE TUITION COST OF THE PROGRAM AND IS ONLY INCLUDED IN THE TOTAL PROGRAM COST IF IT IS SPECIFICALLY ITEMIZED ON YOUR ENROLLMENT AGREEMENT.